Welcome to One Small Step for Parents! Our goal is to help you find the right resources, support and information that is needed to make informed choices. Without the proper tools we, as parents and adults, don't know what will help our situation or what works and doesn't work. Here at One Small Step, we have done our best to take the guesswork and confusion out of the equation by supplying tools, resources and online support.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

On a Personal Note

It has been a while since I have written anything personal, as I have been concentrating on making sure my readers had as much up to date information and support as I could find. So today, I'm going to play catch up.

For those of you who have been following my blog, you already know about my son. However, for the new readers out there who have (hopefully) stumbled onto my page, I am a single mother of a (now) 13 year old boy who has been diagnosed with ADHD/ODD, Anxiety Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress. Quite a mouthful, and to be honest, quite a lot to deal with some days.

After my son had such a dismal grade 6 year, I decided to move to Maple Ridge, where, I had heard, there was more in school support. I must say, the professionals who have been seeing my son for the past 9 months have been amazing! What a change from his last school.

Unfortunately, he is in the last month of his last elementary year. Next year, he is slated to attend Junior High - something that neither of us are prepared for.

However, we have been spared that particular dilemma, by once again moving - I know, I know, but each move has been less traumatic and to better neighbourhoods and schools, so the upheaval can be weighed against the yearly improvements I have been seeing in my son.

This particular location (Langley) has a wonderful support system for kids like mine, and even better, a middle school. The perfect solution to ease my son into Junior High. I have been in touch with the school, and they in turn, have been in touch with the principal of my son's present school, so hopefully everything will be in place before he starts grade 8 - God willing and the creeks don't rise!

I will keep you posted on his progress...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new reader and am very grateful to have stumbled across your blog. My son is in Grade 5 and has Tourette Syndrome, ADHD & ODD. Recent diagnosis, long-time problems. Good luck with the school change. My guy goes into Middle School next year and I'm as freaked out as you were about junior high! I have a 16 year old 'drop-out' who didn't fair so well in the school system. Thanks again for all you do to support. Coco

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Coco! I have recently redesigned the blog and included a number of books and resources available for parents. There is also a link on the Coaching & Links page for teachers and professionals that might be of interest to you as well...the website offers teachers alternative ways to instruct kids like ours ;) Have a look and see if it fits the bill! ( www.bced.gov.bc.ca/specialed/adhd/ )
    Keep your chin up - it will get better!

    ReplyDelete